Nikon’s Small World competition has opened for entries for 2016, to once again recognize and celebrate beautiful and complex images captured by the light microscope. The Competition is divided in two categories Photomicrography and In Motion and open for all microscopic photographic and video works, originating from any part of the world. Twenty (20) best works in the Photomicrography category and three (3) in the In Motion category will be awarded. The first prize in each category is $3,000 toward the purchase of Nikon equipment. CLICK HERE
$3,000—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
$2,000—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
$1,000—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
$800—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
$600—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
$400—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
$250—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
$100—toward the purchase of Nikon equipment.
A commemorative print.
- Anyone over the age of 18 interested in digital or film photography through the microscope is eligible, with the exception of employees of Nikon, their families, the contest judges, and individuals engaged in the manufacture or sale of microscopes or photographic equipment. Former first prizewinners are ineligible to win first prize in the three contests immediately following the contest they won, but can win other prizes. An image that has won any other competition is not eligible to win this contest.
- Photomicrographs must be taken using a light microscope, such as one of the Nikon series of compound or stereoscopic microscopes. The use of Nikon equipment is not required. No purchase is necessary.
- Any type of specimen is acceptable. All techniques of light microscopy are acceptable. Electron microscopy is not acceptable.
- Images must be submitted either:
- Digitally by uploading to the Small World Competition entry area on the www.nikonsmallworld.com Web site. Maximum file size is 100MB, and it is recommended the file size be no smaller than 3MB although smaller file sizes will not be disqualified. Files must be in .jpeg, .tiff, .pict or .psd format. Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution.
- Images can be submitted either digitally or on film. For images on film, a 35mm mounted transparency will be accepted. Glass mounts will not be accepted.
- Each entrant may submit up to three images for judging. A completed and signed official entry form, facsimile, or complete Internet entry form must be used.
- Entries will be judged on:
- Informational Content
- Technical Proficiency
- Visual Impact
- Entries must be received no later than April 30, 2016 to be eligible for prizes.
- Please send all correspondence to Nikon’s Small World Competition, Nikon Instruments Inc., 1300 Walt Whitman Road, Melville, NY 11747-3064 USA or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prizewinners will be notified by August 15, 2016.
- The decision of Nikon’s panel of judges will be final.
- All files will be retained by Nikon Instruments Inc., and cannot be returned.
- If your entry is selected by Nikon as a winning image, you will give non-exclusive rights to Nikon to use your name and the image in connection with the competition. You also certify that you hold the rights to grant such permission. Winning images will only be used in connection with the Nikon Small World Competition and accompanying publicity and will include appropriate photo credits.
- Contestants will be notified regarding image usage rights should Nikon be approached with any commercial opportunities related to a submitted image or images.
- All reasonable care will be taken in handling photos and digital files, but Nikon Instruments Inc. will not assume any responsibility for their loss or damage.
- Offer void where prohibited.
- Taxes, if any, on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prizewinner.
- Failure to comply with and accept all of the preceding rules will disqualify any entry.